Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

I'm putting my New Year's Resolutions here for everyone to see, making me more committed to them.

So here goes:

1. Hubbie and I are committing to a healthier lifestyle.  For both of use, that means watching what we eat and exercising.  I will make up weekly menus each weekend, something I used to do anyway.  I will also take the dog for more frequent and longer walks.  It is good for both of us.  Come summer, I will ride my bike to work at least 2x/week.  You'll see healthier items here, too.

2. After enduring a marathon pre-Christmas cleaning session that took me 3 days, I am resolved to deep-cleaning 1 room of our 6-room house each month.  I am talking mother-in-law-is-visiting clean.  I mean wash-the-walls and move-the-appliances clean.  The kitchen, bathroom, 2 bedrooms, living & dining rooms as one, and laundry room will each get thoroughly scrubbed twice annually.  And in case you're wondering, we do, of course, clean the house as needed and will not neglect the bathroom for 5 months at a time.  This resolution is aimed at getting deep cleaning on a regular cycle instead of the "on crap, company's coming" cleaning frenzy that has typical of Hubbie and me.

3. Hubbie and I will pay off my car this summer.  We will roll that money into the credit card with the highest balance and pay it off as fast as possible.  Our joint goal is to dramatically reduce our household debt in 2011.  Paying off the car and a credit card will help that goal immensely.

4. I am giving up my daily Starbucks coffee (gulp).  This helps resolutions 1 and 3.  To make it easier to resist the temptation of getting a coffee I will do 2 things: 1) I have started using my French press to make coffee at home and 2) I will leave my debit card at home.  I live just 3 mies from work.  If I need my debit card, I can come home to get it.  Mary Hunt would be proud.

5. I plan to knit my first adult garment in 2011.  I've selected my project, the Silke Jacket from Brave New Knits.  I can't wait to start it.  The book, which I bought recently, is fabulous.  If you knit, run to check it out.  It's a very good book (insert disclaimer about how the author doesn't know me from Adam and didn't give me anything for this shout out blah blah blah).

Did you make any resolutions?  Why/why not?  If you made some, what are they and what steps will you take to make progress?

3 comments:

  1. Those sound like awesome, and very obtainable resolutions. Let us know how they go. Go get'em, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive! I'm going to get on the Starbucks bandwagon too. I miss my French Press. It's at the beach house but I'm going to bring it home. It makes crummy coffee taste so much better. Reducing household debt is awesome!!! I'm going to resolve to put $ away and buy new things each season, but only what I have $ for. This might be difficult. You've inspired me.
    My biggest resolution though is to get off my own back. I carried way too much guilt in 2010! Not this year!
    J. Werner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello...I am one of the people that came from PWS, and I've stayed for more. i've been doing some of these saving things - not as well as you, nor as organised by the sounds of it - but one thing that has worked for me has been shelling out for a real coffee machine. I calculated we paid for it in 3 months, and now can enjoy good coffee every day if we wish. ahhhh bliss!

    ReplyDelete