Sunday, June 24, 2012

What's cooking

I spent much of the weekend cooking, something I haven't done since Kaelen was born.  Now that we're on a very tight budget (and because Gene doesn't give a rat's patootie about variety if left to do it on his own), I wanted to have as many things pre-made as I could.  It prevents temptation on those nights we don't feel like making anything.

Besides, I like cooking.

The weekend's haul turned out to be pretty impressive, if I do say so myself.
  • 2 lasagnas in 8x8 pans
  • Greek yogurt
  • double batch of rhubarb big crumb coffee cake
  • 1 loaf of 100% whole wheat sandwich bread (which I neglected to remove from its pan right away and it steamed its bum soft)
  • 2 pans of chicken verde enchiladas, made with chicken and my home-canned corn
  • double batch of pizza dough, half of which I froze and the other half Gene made into decked-out pizzas
  • minestrone soup
  • a batch of pureed cherries for the kid
I froze everything except 1 batch of the enchiladas, which we're going to have for dinner tonight, and the coffee cake.  Gene took a good amount of the coffee cake to our neighbors from whose yard I pilfered the rhubarb at 7:00 this morning.  My rhubarb out front bolted and the year-old rhubarb in the back yard has stalks that are not much larger than pencils.

Lunch tomorrow will either be leftover gyros or the end of a not-so-exciting concoction of braised beef, egg noodles, tomatoes, and edamame I made last week.  Hey, I said we've been working on eating what's on hand... sometimes the results are odd.

Some laundry, bathe the kid, glass of wine, and I'm done.

I'm pooped.

2 comments:

  1. that beef noodle tomatoes and green things looks like a good base for some soup :) ... but that just makes even more stuff you've got to eventually eat.

    Congrats on the productive week :)

    ReplyDelete