I chatted with Toby and mentioned some of the tagine dishes I've been trying lately. He encouraged me to blog about Moroccan food,.
The problem is, I know next to nothing about Moroccan food.
- It uses lots of herbs & spices, specifically those that North Americans tend to associate with sweet: cinnamon, cloves, and mint.
- It often features lamb or chickpeas as the primary protein, though chicken and rabbit are also found. Apparently beef appears in many dishes as well.
- Citrus is a common ingredient, especially lemon. The cuisine also relies heavily on dried fruits, almonds, olives, and honey for flavor.
- Dairy is rare.
- Couscous is a regular side dish.
- Many dishes are traditionally cooked in a tagine like this one:
Lamb tagine, photo from wholefoods.com
And now you know as much as I do about Moroccan cuisine.