Wednesday, September 18, 2013

We all screamed for ice cream

The end of summer brings with it my birthday.  I love having parties for my birthday, and have thrown gigantic Mexican food buffets and various BBQs.  This year, due to Gene's work schedule and Kaelen's 6:30 p.m. bedtime, I decided to do a late afternoon ice cream party on Sunday of Labor Day weekend.  Around 25 people came for the icy treats.

Two weeks ahead of the party I started making ice cream in my little Cuisinart.  It's nothing special but it gets the job done.

Sadly, I don't have any photographic evidence of my ice cream madness.  But I do have a list of the recipes I used.  All in all we had eight different kinds, including two non-dairy. 

ICE CREAMS
Mango (this was a surprising hit)
Corn (awesome with the caramel sauce, even better using leftover corn-on-the-cob)
Chocolate Peanut Butter (I've made this several times now, and it's Gene's favorite)
Raspberry (loosely based on this recipe)
Lemon Cheesecake (Add zest of 1 lemon and let it sit overnight before freezing.)
Cherry Garcia
Coconut Milk (I made half vanilla and half chocolate)

TOPPINGS
Hot fudge
Chocolate sauce (no dairy... we used the leftovers to make mochas, so I didn't mind making 2 different sauces)
Salted caramel (given to me by a friend but I like the one from the corn ice cream recipe better)
Coconut
Toasted almond slivers

Everyone had a different favorite, and there was just a little of each one left.  Overall I probably made 2 gallons of ice cream.  Most people had bowls rather than cones.  Now I have a ton of cones and no ice cream left.

Was I nuts?  Probably.  Did our friends and family exclaim many times over how much they enjoyed it?  Yup.  Would I do it again?  Maybe.  It was an interesting experiment and I had fun trying out all the types.

No comments:

Post a Comment