Friday, April 2, 2010

Cylons, Homer, and honeybees

NOTE: I started this post on Thursday and didn't get to finish it because Gene was hounding me to watch Battlestar Galactica with him.  Who am I to deny him a Cylon fix?

----------
 After working in higher education for the past decade, I'm used to being the one to stand waving while others walk away.  So it was really weird yesterday to be the one heading toward something new and leaving others behind. 

My staff team took me to Serafina for an adieu lunch.  As we stared at the menus, slack jawed about the drool-inducing descriptions, Krista proudly pointed out the top line that said that the restaurant sources their food locally.  She had even selected the restaurant for that reason!  Thanks, Krista!  Lip-smackin' deliciousness ensued: English pea soup followed by butternut squash ravioli with sage butter and crushed hazelnuts.

As a good-bye gift, my team gave me a very cool apron, 2 books, and a set of nesting bowls made of recycled metal containers.  Granted, the "Fast Actin' Tinactin" bowl is a wee bit odd, but the orange juice and striped turpentine bowls are way cool.  They've all found a new purpose in my new office.

Nancy Gardener has been recommending this first book for ages and I had never gotten around to getting it.  Funny how that works, eh?
Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades: The Complete Guide to Organic Gardening by Steve Solomon

The second book has a picture of a bee hive on the front. The lure of urban bees is getting stronger each year.  I even figured out where to put them: on the flat roof of our back porch.  Too bad Gene is allergic.
Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting by R. J. Ruppenthal

I have a feeling how I might be spending my newly found 10 hours each week.

No comments:

Post a Comment