Monday, May 17, 2010

May day in May

Did you know that the well-recognized call for help - May day! - is actually French for "help me"?  "M'aidez" means "help me".

I've been working like a demon recently and am exhausted.  May day!  M'aidez, au secours!! 

Here's a list of the edibles in our yard as of yesterday.  I had to replant lots of things because our cold rainy spring weather prevented successful germination of much of what I'd planted earlier this spring.  Peas, parsley, lettuce, and green onions all sprouted.  Little else did.

Out front, some in the parking strip, some in the beds:

• Potatoes (4 varieties)
• Tomatoes (6 varieties)
• Asparagus
• Herbs: basil, dill, parsley, cilantro, tarragon, sage, chives, rosemary, thyme, lavendar
• Onions (3 varieties)
• Garlic
• Eggplant
• Jalapeno peppers
• Leeks
• Broccoli
• Spinach
• Lettuce (4 varieties)
• Parsnips
• Yellow squash
• Tomatillos
• Bush peas
• Raspberries
• Blueberries
• Strawberries
• Rhubarb
• Artichoke
• Plum tree

In back:
• Lettuce
• Spinach
• Yellow squash
• Chard
• Cabbage
• Peas: bush & pole
• Purple pole beans
• Carrots: orange & purple
• More potatoes
• Shallots
• A solitary volunteer onion
• A solitary volunteer tomato
• Green onions
• Apple tree
• Crab apple tree (going to try to make my own liquid pectin this year)

Last weekend I spent a great many hours moving dirt, raking, and transplanting things into the area the chickens had destroyed.  Some things have come back now that they're no longer being nibbled daily - including my highland cranberry and sedums - but many have not: violets, calla lilies, hostas, lavendar, etc.  I'm hoping this most recent intervention will pay off with an attractive back yard.

I'll post pictures as soon as hubbie returns with the camera's cable, which he took on his business trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment