Saturday, May 29, 2010

My Review of Topeak MTX Basket Rear

Originally submitted at REI

The MTX rear basket from Topeak is the perfect size for shopping and other errands.


Not for the short or big-boned

By Jenn A from Tacoma, WA on 5/29/2010

 

3out of 5

Gift: No

Pros: Easy to Use, Lightweight

Cons: Too tall

Best Uses: Commuting

Describe Yourself: Casual/ Recreational

I bought this for my commute to work so that I'd have what is essentially a "trunk" for my bike. Having used a bike with a milk crate during all of my college years I was eager for an easy-on, easy-off solution.

I was pleasantly surprised by how light but sturdy this basket is. It weighs very little and is very manageable. It slides on/off the Topeak rack very easily and was simple to attach.

Eager to test out the basket before I committed to my tough uphill ride home from work, I decided that an easy ride to the grocery store would be a good bet. I'm glad I did because it means I'm going to take the basket back.

I'm 5'8" and ride a brand new Giant commuter bike. The front edge of the basket just fit under the seat. My behind, however, is wider than the lower front opening of the basket, making it uncomfortable to sit back on the seat properly. It felt like I was sitting on the edge of the basket.

Unless you're very tall, have a rack that sits back farther, or whippet thin, I wouldn't recommend this basket.

(legalese)

No comments:

Post a Comment