Monday, November 22, 2010

Let's talk turkey

We're a relatively frugal household.  We pay for everything in cash and we're actively working on reducing our debt.  We got rid of cable a year ago and haven't looked back.  We live within our means but do allow for splurges like Starbucks coffees, expensive yarns, and nice cheese.

Hey, you gotta live a little, right??

I subscribe to an e-newsletter called "Everyday Cheapskate".  One of the recent posts suggested stocking up on cheap turkeys this time of year.  Since I always make a turkey for our household, buying a cheap turkey has always been on my to-do list.  This industrial turkey has a lot going for it: it's about the least expensive form of protein you can get and it goes a long way by lasting for a lot of meals.  Since it's already frozen, I would buy 2 and put one in my folks' freezer.

The problem for the last few years, however, has been a crisis of conscience.  How can I promote eating locally when I go out and buy industrially raised birds that were grown hundreds, if not thousands, of miles away?

Worse yet, how can I afford a locally grown bird?  At $4/pound, even a smallish bird costs a small fortune.

A trend I've noticed this year is a lower price-per-pound for these local birds.  Granted, many still cost in the $4 range but I've started to see them as low as $2/pound.  I hope it's because the farmers can raise the birds for that price not because they're forced to lower their prices.  I don't suspect the latter as the farmers I know sold out of birds well in advance of Halloween.

G-man and I have had milk delivered weekly, as have my parents, for several years from Smith Brothers Farms.  A few weeks ago I got an email from them with a special offer: a fresh, locally grown turkey delivered with our milk the week of Thanksgiving.  It was a reasonable price, albeit significantly more expensive than the $0.39/pound turkeys I've seen advertised locally from the grocery chains.

Ours is being delivered tomorrow. 

Because G-man and I are headed to my folks' for Thanksgiving, I'll cook the turkey on Friday.  I'm thrilled because not only is it locally raised, it's fresh.  I've never cooked a fresh turkey before and am looking forward to it.

What are your plans for Thanksgiving?  Are you hosting or being hosted?  Have you been squirreling away goodies to prepare for holiday meals?

No comments:

Post a Comment