Tuesday, August 13, 2013

More Strawberries

Oh.  Did you think I was done with strawberries?

I had nearly 4 flats.  That's 36 pounds of strawberries.

Yes, I made the requisite strawberry jam.  Actually, I made 2 batches.

As I was hulling - and hulling and hulling and hulling - the strawberries, I realized that I had a ton of tops that could go to better use than to feed a flock of old hens.  I'm such a Yankee at heart that I couldn't let them go to waste.

See the copper pan in the upper left?  That's a strawberry shrub!

I've been thinking about shrubs a lot lately, remembering my obsession with them when I was pregnant.  I pulled out my vinegar, threw in 4 cups of strawberry tops whose leaves I'd removed, and cooked it for about 15 minutes.

I can't wait to get some club soda on the way home tonight and have something different with dinner.

Strawberry Shrub
The important thing about a shrub is the ratio of 1:1:1.

3 cups strawberries, sliced
3 cups vinegar
3 cups sugar*
(*Please note an earlier version said water.  There is no water in this recipe.  Dangit.)

Combine the vinegar and berries in a pot and bring to a boil.  Cook for 15 minutes.  Strain, then add the sugar and stir well.

If desired, process for 5 minutes with 1/8" headspace, or simply store in the fridge.  These, too, will go to my barter.


Tonight I have to make another batch of jam and figure out what to do with the last bowl of berries that are languishing.  Perhaps more BBQ sauce?

No comments:

Post a Comment