Thursday, October 21, 2010

Happy birthday, dad

Today is my dad's 63rd birthday.

He doesn't read my blog, so I can tell you what I got for him.

Last weekend I was driving to Seattle to visit friends and I heard an interview on NPR with a Seattle author who wrote a book called "Jet Age".  I was fascinated by the conversation about the global impact of the Boeing 707.  My dad was a pilot in the Air Force and I thought he'd enjoy the book.  When I got back home, I went straight to King's Books, a small independent bookstore, and ordered the book for Dad. 

I looked up the book earlier this week on amazon.com and the book was about half the price.  On one hand I want to get a refund and get it online instead.  On the other hand, I want to support a local business (putting aside the fact that amazon.com is a Seattle company).  The book is already paid for, so I guess the decision is made.

Oh well.

We're having a small party at my folks' house this weekend.  I promised Dad I'd make vanilla ice cream.  G-man is traveling - again - so it'll be just my folks, brother, and me.  Oh, and Rosemary will go, too. 

Now, if only I had room in the freezer for the ice cream freezing thingy.

Here's the recipe I'll try for Dad: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/serious-vanilla-ice-cream-recipe/index.html.  I've tried making egg custard ice cream in the past except there's a problem: our eggs are too eggy.  I'll eschew eggs for now and make a sinful dessert of cream, cream, and more cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment