Thursday, June 17, 2010

Molly

This female Anna's hummingbird (or her offspring) has been nesting in my next-door neighbor's yard somewhere for several years.  I planted this red hot pocker to entice her into my yard.  It worked!


Nearly every morning I see her in the yard next door, either sitting in a tree making her squeaky song - you can hear one here - or sipping the honeysuckle.  Sometimes I'm late for work because I just stand there and watch her for a few minutes.  She brings a smile to my face every single time. 


I await her return every year and see her nearly daily all summer.  Last weekend she sat on the telephone wire and watched me garden for a little while.  Hummingbirds are quite curious creatures and shockingly fearless.  Over the years I've seen hummingbirds hover over the chickens as if to check out these bizarre critters.  They come within 2-3 feet of my chickens, who lumber after the weird "bug" that's hovering tantalizingly out of reach.  The hummers have no fear of me and always make me wish I were wearing red.


For some reason I want to call her Molly.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, this seals the deal. I really want one of these beautiful plants! :)

    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete