Friday, August 6, 2010

Some Like It Hot

My parents gave us a spice rub from Costco about a year ago and to be honest, I just gave it away.  It was very salty and the spices were, well, boring.  It had pepper and something red - probably paprika - but no oomph, nothing to blow your skirt up.

Not so with this spice rub.  The salt is but a minor player in this recipe, singing back-up to the Aretha, Mariah, and Christina of the spice world: pepper, chili powder, and cinnamon.


When I first made this recipe, it was because I had all the ingredients.  This time I had to go get many of the spices.  Rather than buy bottles of spices, which would make this ridiculously expensive, head for a grocery store that sells bulk spices (Fred Meyer has these) and get just what you need.

In a bowl, mix together the following:

  • 1/4 cup kosher salt

  • 2 T coarsely ground pepper

  • 1 T ground coriander

  • 3 T ground cumin

  • 2 T each: paprika, dried thyme, *chili powder (see update below re: chili powder)

  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar

  • 2 t ground cinnamon
This is what it looks like.  I wish you could smell it.

The sugar caramelizes on the meat as it cooks and the spices blacken.  It's spicy but oh-so-good!

The recipe suggests these marinating times:
  • shrimp/scallops - 15 mins
  • chicken breats & thighs - 30-60 mins
  • beef & lamb - 60 mins
  • pork chops & tenderloin - 45-60 mins
I bet if you mixed this with some yogurt and marinated some chicken in that, it would be delicious and tender.  Try it, and tell me what you think!

And anytime you're marinating over an hour, put it into the fridge.

**UPDATE**
My neighbor told me that the 2nd batch of rub didn't have the same kick as the first one.  I may have used cayenne pepper instead of chili powder.  Make it per the recipe & add some cayenne if you want it spicier.

1 comment:

  1. I'm bookmarking this so I can come back to it later. It looks and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete